Overwatch’s latest version, 1.16, is now taking shape on the PTR. We’ll gather every update into this handy post so you can track the next patch as it forms. The big news in 1.16 so far is a major change to the way ultimates are cast, alongside some helpful readability tweaks to the UI – do read on for full details.
This change might shake up the tier-lists a little, but our picks should still hold true on the live servers…for now.
Overwatch Patch 1.16 release date
We don’t yet know when patch 1.16 will be applied to the live game, or indeed how many of the below changes will make it into the final version. PTR cycles generally last three to four weeks, and patches generally drop on Tuesdays. So we’re guessing around Tuesday 10-17 October.
Overwatch Patch 1.16 hero changes
Nothing too exciting announced yet for hero balances – just some tweaks to Tracer’s Blink and D.Va’s boosters.
- Players now have the option to now hold down the boost button, rather than using the default toggle method. Releasing the button will end the ability. The Hold Boosters option can be found under the ‘Controls’ tab in the ‘Options’ menu – select D.Va from the dropdown menu.
- Boosting in this way appears to prevent her from casting her ult.
It’s not in the initial patch notes, but Tracer’s Blink animation has been slightly changed in the latest PTR build. According to krumbino on the forums, “you can see yourself traveling through space while blinking,” giving a better sense of where you’re about to end up. It makes Blink feel a little slower, however.
Overwatch Patch 1.16 Ultimate Ability Changes
Ultimate charge is now immediately depleted when a hero’s ult is cast, rather than being depleted over a short period of time.
In previous versions, if you were killed while casting your ult, you would respawn with at least a partial charge. That’s not a thing any more. With this change, pressing ‘Q’ will instantly spend all your charge, even if your ult doesn’t finish casting before you’re killed.
A thread on the Overwatch subreddit points out that this will affect Mei and Bastion – already two of the least-picked and least successful heroes – more than anyone else, as their ult cast times are among the longest in the game. Other heroes that are faster on the draw will be much less stung by this change.
Overwatch Patch 1.16 User Interface changes
- A team-coloured high-water mark will now appear in the progress bar until the attacking team has overtaken the defending team’s progress
- When capturing an objective, the progress bar is now broken into three segments; when filled, each segment will trigger an animation and audio cue
- The number of defenders currently on the objective will now be displayed with the attacker count, just below the progress bar
- Team colours are now visible in the capture point progress bar on Assault, Escort, and Assault/Escort maps
Overwatch Patch 1.16 Bug Fixes
- Fixed a bug that allowed muted players to become unmuted after leaving and rejoining the same match
- Fixed a bug that caused bots to get trapped in a movement loop after taking the tunnel under the capture point on the university section of Oasis
- Fixed an issue that caused matches to end in a draw when both teams won their first attacking rounds in overtime on Hanamura, Horizon Lunar Colony, Temple of Anubis, or Volskaya Industries
- Fixed a bug that prevented D.Va’s Projectile Speed slider from appearing in Custom Game settings
- Fixed a bug that caused Lúcio’s football to fly off in the wrong different direction when activating his Juggle emote at 30fps
- Fixed a bug that caused Roadhog’s chest to deflate when his Tuckered Out emote was activated while the Mako or Sharkbait skins were equipped
- Fixed a bug that prevented the sound effects on Symmetra’s turrets from being heard by teammates
- Fixed a bug that prevented Torbjörn’s weapon-draw animation from being played when turret placement was canceled
- Fixed a bug on King’s Row that caused a dark box to appear if you stared into the robot city for too long
- Fixed a bug that allowed Sombra to reach unintended locations on Volskaya Industries